1. Have you been working out at the fitness center recently?
2. A: What were you doing when the accident occurred?
B: I was trying to change a light bulb that had burnt out.
3. I have had the same car for more than ten years. I’m thinking about buying a new one.
4. If it snows this weekend, we are going to go skiing near Lake Tahoe.
5. A: What do you call people who work in libraries?
B: They are called librarians.
6. I came to England six months ago. I started my economics course three months ago. When I return to Australia, I will have been studying for nine months and I will have been in England for exactly one year.
7. Sam arrived in San Diego a week ago.
8. Samantha lived in Berlin for more than two years. In fact, she was living there when the Berlin wall came down.
9. If Vera keeps drinking, she will eventually lose her job.
10. The Maya established a very advanced civilization in the jungles of the Yucatan; however, their culture had virtually disappeared by the time Europeans first arrived in the New World.
11. Shhhhh! Be quiet! John is sleeping.
12. It has been raining all week. I hope it stops by Saturday because I want to go to the beach.
13. Listen Donna, I don’t care if you missed the bus this morning. You have been late to work too many times. You are fired!
14. I am sick of rain and bad weather! Hopefully, when we wake up tomorrow morning, the sun will be shining.
15. I have not traveled much yet; however, I will have visited the Grand Canyon and San Francisco by the time I leave the United States.
16. I had seen many pictures of the pyramids before I went to Egypt. Pictures of the monuments are very misleading. The pyramids are actually quite small.
17. In the last hundred years, traveling has become much easier and very comfortable. In the 19th century, it took two or three months to cross North America by covered wagon. The trip was very rough and often dangerous. Things have changed a great deal in the last hundred and fifty years. Now you can fly from New York to Los Angeles in a matter of hours.
18. Joseph’s English is really improving, isn’t it? He has been watching American television programs and studying his grammar every day since he first arrived in San Diego. Soon he will be totally fluent.
19. When I arrived home last night, I discovered that Jane had prepared a beautiful candlelight dinner.
20. If you need to contact me sometime next week, I will be staying at the Sheraton in San Francisco.